Take a walk into the newly constructed Generator Room via Hypower’s Immersive 3D VR Platform:
For almost a decade now, Hypower has utilized the use of Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) to deliver better results to our customers. Focusing on the triad of time-budget-cost, Hypower utilizes Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, like Navisworks, AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP (including versions 2013 through 2016), to ensure that all construction and design conflicts are resolved during pre-construction. Rework and scheduling delays are prevented while the coordination of subcontractors is streamlined. Since 2009, Hypower has completed 41 VDC projects with a total value of $205 million.
From design to project completion and at every milestone in a project’s life-cycle, VDC provides vital information that enables our clients to make informed choices. The initial setup, logistics, visualization, quality control and delivery process become more efficient and improve our customers’ experience throughout the life of the project. Using VDC creates a comprehensive work plan, where every trade, structural and architectural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing, is in sync and works as one, cohesive unit. VDC also promotes better safety practices; as well informed workers make fewer trips, are more productive, and are able to focus on installation. VDC also allows our customers and their construction team to see the impact of proposed design changes before any materials or financial resources are committed. In short, VDC helps create more accurate construction documents and more importantly, saves money.
Hypower’s wealth of experience using VDC has enabled us to deliver higher quality projects at the same competitive price for our customers. We continue to be at the forefront of innovation and technology, implementing data-driven designs and modeling tools that assure our customers the highest quality project with maximum efficiency.
Your projects get unexpected delays quite often! Is this caused by the schedule killing issue of installation clashes? Here are some of the challenges you face every day:
- Lack of ability to identify conflicts due to the 2D representation of the designs
- Delays in construction process due to conflict being identified in the field
- Lack of trust in the fabrication offsite due to the fear of system not fitting leading to a lot of on the site
- Rework to fix the conflict issues not identified during design and coordination
- Increased site supervision required to avoid conflicts between trade contractors
- Increased administrative burden of more Request for Information (RFIs) and Change Orders due to
identification of conflicts in the field after budgets are approved
- “Install first” mentality amongst trade contractors so as to avoid having to move their systems in case
- Overall reduced productivity for everyone involved in the process
Why VDC is something you should require for your projects ?
For almost a decade now, Hypower has implemented the use of Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) to deliver better results to their customers. Focusing on the triad of time-budget-cost, Hypower utilizes Building Information Modeling (BIM) software, like Navisworks, AutoCAD MEP and Revit MEP, to ensure that all construction and design conflicts are resolved during pre-construction. Rework and scheduling delays are prevented while the coordination of subcontractors is streamlined.
Using VDC creates a comprehensive work plan, where every trade, structural and architectural, mechanical, electrical and plumbing, is in sync and works as one, cohesive unit.
Hypower’s Trimble Total Station enables us to provide improved accuracy of the job layout. This sharply reduces the time needed to perform layout on-site and it eliminates mistakes upfront so there is never a problem on the job-site.
With the precise planning and attention to detail that is part of our VDC process, construction documents, prefabrication and assembly of components are more accurate and Hypower crews spend less time on the job putting everything together. This helps you stay on schedule and improve project performance.
Benefits of using VDC:
Benefits for the Owner:
- The project team does not spend time on non value adding activities on the project such as dealing with Request for Information or Change Orders due to field conflicts in the MEP systems
- There are zero change orders related to field conflicts on this project.
- Upon completion, the owner also has a pretty accurate as-built model to provide to the facility management. Information is a lot easier to find compared to traditional 2D drawings which normally get sent to the owner at the end of the project.
- Saves time and money
Benefits for the Architects / Engineers:
- The Architects / Engineers spend substantially less time during the construction phase of the project doing construction administration. They do not have to deal with any RFIs related to field conflicts or deal with any change orders due to field conflict issues.
Benefits for the General Contractor:
- The GC’s superintendents are able to spend more time planning the job rather than reacting to field conflict issues on the project
- The GC is able to maintain a safe and efficient site throughout the construction of MEP systems. Due to the fact that most systems are prefabricated offsite and brought on the site in assemblies, there are no setups of fabrication equipment etc on the site which makes the site a lot cleaner and safer.
Benefits for the Specialty Contractor:
- Subcontractors are more knowledgeable about the project as they are involved sooner and are resolving issues in the design and detailing stage that would typically come up in the field.
- All the trades normally finish their work ahead of or on schedule.
- All the plumbing and medium and low pressure ductwork is being pre-fabricated. The subcontractors attribute this to the use of 3D models for coordination.
- Ease of installation
- The mechanical contractor avoids rework in the field. This is attributed to the accurate and coordinated 3D models that lead to accurate fabrication and installation of almost all work the first time.
Prefabrication can be done in a controlled environment at our prefabrication site or in a controlled environment on a job site. These pre-assembled products allow us to meet and exceed Customer project schedules, control job site waste and improve the quality of the project overall. This practice is a part of our standard electrical construction means and methods. Some of our prefabrication capabilities include:
- Pre-bent long radius PVC elbows (coordinated with BIM model layout information)
- Pre-bent Standard PVC elbows (for use in slabs and block wall assemblies)
- Pre-bent EMT conduit (coordinated with BIM model layout information)
- Switchgear and panels board stub-up assemblies ( capped and labeled )
- Pre-wired Transformer assemblies ( Knocked out with flex, wire, and lug kit installed)
- Multi Panel assemblies and Pull box assemblies (pre-racked and Knocked out using BIM model information)
- Temporary power assemblies (pre-wired panel with load gutter, Pre-wired transformer with load side panel, Temp receptacle power stands)